Week 8 – Nearing the End
Welcome Everyone to Week 8 of Be Healthy Now! SAVE THE DATE – BE HEALTHY NOW FINALE Thursday, May 25th, 6:00-7:30 p.m. Guided Hike and Picnic at Cedarock Park There will be prizes and the 2017 Be Healthy Now winner will be announced! Recipe Spotlight Turkey and Kale Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Boats The strands of... View Article
Welcome Everyone to Week 8 of Be Healthy Now!
SAVE THE DATE – BE HEALTHY NOW FINALE
Thursday, May 25th, 6:00-7:30 p.m.
Guided Hike and Picnic at Cedarock Park
There will be prizes and the 2017 Be Healthy Now winner will be announced!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium finely diced yellow onion
- 3/4 lb ground turkey (extra lean)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped kale, thawed (can substitute spinach)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. If it’s difficult to halve the spaghetti squash, use this little trick: Warm the whole squash in the microwave for a few minutes to soften. It will be easier to cut from there.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and discard them. Place the halves cut-side-down into a large baking dish. Add 1 inch of water to the dish. Cover with foil and bake in the oven until squash strands are easily removed with a fork (about 50-60 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a heavy-duty medium pot, warm oil. Add onions and saute until soft and translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Add ground turkey, using a spatula to break up the meat until it is cooked, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in chopped kale and garlic, cooking 1 minute. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning blend, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and let cook about 20-30 minutes.
- When the squash is done, remove from the oven (but keep the oven on!). Using a fork, carefully shred the inside of the squash. In a large bowl, add all the spaghetti squash strands. Add the tomato sauce, using tongs to coat the spaghetti squash in sauce.
- Add the spaghetti squash shells onto a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer the spaghetti squash strands into the 2 shells, piling as high as you can (Note: if there is too much filling to fit into the boats, add the extra to a small baking dish and cook alongside).
- Return to the oven and cook 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
*To view this recipe online, click the following link: https://recipes.heart.org/recipes/2049/turkey-and-kale-stuffed-spaghetti-squash-boats-with-savory-tomato-sauce
To encourage you to participate in Be Healthy Now activities, we will be having weekly prize drawings for those that attend our events. This includes the group fitness classes at Alamance Regional and Complete Fitness for Women. Every time you attend an event, your name will be entered into a drawing for that week’s prize.
*If you are attending an event at Alamance Regional or Complete Fitness, be sure to sign in and print clearly!!*
Winner for week 7 (Herb Gift Basket) will be announced on Facebook and on the BHN website by 5pm on Monday, May 15th.
This week we are raffling off a 6-quart Crockpot!
Check out these upcoming events. Registration is open for those that require registration.
Line Dancing with Tri-City Hustlerz, Monday, May 15th • 6-7pm • No registration required
Get Hiking at Town and Country Nature Park, Monday, May 22nd • 6-7:30pm • THIS EVENT IS FULL