Week 6 – Let’s Do This!
Welcome Everyone to Week 6 of Be Healthy Now! Recipe Spotlight Healthy Strawberry Oatmeal Bars Life is all about balance and with this whole-grain, lightened up dessert, you don’t have to feel guilty about enjoying a sweet treat! INGREDIENTS For the bars: 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour 1/3 cup light... View Article
Welcome Everyone to Week 6 of Be Healthy Now!
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (or substitute melted coconut oil to make vegan/dairy free)
- 2 cups small-diced strawberries (about 10 ounces), divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1/2 small lemon)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
For the vanilla glaze (optional but will make the bars sweeter):
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk (any kind you like)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper so that the paper overhangs two sides like handles.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger, and salt. Pour in the melted butter and stir until it forms clumps and the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Set aside 1/2 cup of the crumble mixture, then press the rest into an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Scatter half of the strawberries over the crust. Sprinkle the cornstarch evenly over the top, then sprinkle on the lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon of the granulated sugar. Scatter on the remaining berries, then the remaining 1/2 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the top. You will have some fruit showing through.
- Bake the bars for 35 to 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and the crumb topping smells toasty and looks golden. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely (you can speed this process along in the refrigerator).
- While the bars cool, prepare the glaze: In a medium bowl, briskly whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Feel free to add more milk if a thinner consistency is desired. Using the parchment-paper handles, lift the bars from the pan. Drizzle with glaze, slice, and serve.
*Strawberries are in season now! Visit the North Park Farmers Market every Tuesday from 3-6 pm (849 Sharpe Rd., Burlington) to buy some fresh, local strawberries from local farmers!
*To view this recipe online, click the link: http://www.wellplated.com/strawberry-oatmeal-bars/
To encourage you to participate in Be Healthy Now activities, we will be having weekly prize drawings for those that attend our events. This includes the group fitness classes at Alamance Regional and Complete Fitness for Women. Every time you attend an event, your name will be entered into a drawing for that week’s prize.
*If you are attending an event at Alamance Regional or Complete Fitness, be sure to sign in and print clearly!!*
Winner for week 5 (Kitchen Gadget Gift Basket) will be announced on Facebook and on the BHN website by 5pm on Monday, May 1st.
This week we have a special raffle prize. The winner will be able to choose a charity and we will donate $100 to that charity!
Check out these upcoming events. Registration is open for those that require registration.
Holistic Happy Hour, Tuesday, May 2nd • 5:30-6:30pm